’The evil spirit, who enthralled my senses in the shape of that portrait, may have been just as near me, just as energetic, just as malignant, though I saw him not.’
This handsome hardback anthology brings together 60 of the greatest ghost stories ever written, featuring silent spectres, petrifying phantoms and all manner of ghastly ghosts. Whether the apparitions are discovered by intrepid adventurers, solemn priests or mild-mannered academics, the haunted must reconsider their most basic assumptions and work out how best to respond to these supernatural assaults.
• A Ghost by Guy de Maupassant
• The Red Room by H. G. Wells
• The Signalman by Charles Dickens
• The Room in the Tower by E.F. Benson
• The Whistling Room by William Hope Hodgson
• The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral by M.R. James
• Strange Event in the Life of Schalken the Painter by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Presented in a stylish jacketed hardback with gorgeous endpaper illustrations, the tales here will terrify and entertain in equal measure.
ABOUT THE SERIES: Arcturus Retro Classics are beautiful hardcover collections which bring together the best short stories from across the science fiction, fantasy and horror genres. With striking retro cover designs and illustrated endpapers by Tithi Luadthong, these editions make wonderful collectibles for your home library.